This chilly is one of my favorite recipes to make for Chicago winter days! Although this recipe involves the use of halibut, I have also used other proteins, and it is equally delicious.
What you will need:
1lb great northern white beans
1lb cubed halibut or other protein
1tbs olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 4oz cans mild/hot green chilies, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp dry oregano, crumbled
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
5 cups chicken stock or broth
3 cups grated Monterrey jack cheese
How to create:
1. Place the beans in a heavy, large bowl. Add enough cold water to cover the beans at least 3 inches and soak overnight.
2. Rinse and drain the beans.
3. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the onion and garlic. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant and the onions start to become translucent.
4. Add chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper to the pot.
5. Add both the chicken stock and beans, bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for two hours, or until the beans are tender. Add the fish and cook over medium heat until the halibut can be flaked apart with a fork.
7. When the protein is done, add the cheese and cook until melted.
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with sour cream, salsa and with additional cheese if you like!
- Calories 557.8
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 101.0 mg
- Sodium 948.9 mg
- Potassium 1,076.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 43.0 g